

Delegate Meeting Minutes

Date Location January 25, 2013 (1st Spring Delegate Meeting) Ohio Union, Senate Chambers

Ohio Union Rm 2088A | 1739 N. High Street | Columbus, OH 43210 | (614) 292-4380 |

CGS@studentlife.osu.edu

MEETING OPEN AT 3:32 PM

STURM.42 (President) welcomes and then reads statement of purpose.

1. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

STURM.42: To effectively advocate and program to ensure that The Ohio State University graduate student experience is the best it can be.

2. SUSPENDED BUSINESS

2.1. GCBC Special Report

SADVARI.1: I'm the current chair of GCBC. Just wanted to give an overview and what our next steps are in terms of stipend review. To give you an idea of the rationale behind the review process – minimum stipends should be good enough to fill vital roles in the institution. This review process establishes a partnership and standards with Graduate School and CGS to proceed into the future. This year we requested a dataset form OHR, in the fall we analyzed it and then submitted copies to organizations around campus. Dean Osmer and Salimbeme were satisfied and met with Provost Alutto to hear his thought's.

In the spring this will go to departments to solicit feedback. This will give students an understanding of what the stipends look like. 2011-12 academic year data is used to review stipends and these are reviewed across departments. They look at the minimum and mean stipends. The Minimum at that time as \$10,500 which was more than the \$9,000 of the previous year.

We moved up two positions in terms of GAA and one in terms of GRA's against peer institutions. We felt it was out of the scope to make recommendations on increases on stipends. When report becomes available we will circulate it among the delegate body. Our major recommendation was to even out the stipends in colleges and in departments. We also want to start a conversation with Graduate School to reduce fees for GA's GTA's and GRA's.

DELEGATE: What institutions are we being compared with and how are they selected. I believe this is the second report right?

SADVARI.1: No this is a yearly thing now that GCBC will be doing. The report from two years ago used the same group to compare to.

DELEGATE: can we get the report from two years ago? And has it affected everyone equally?

SADVARI.1: It's on the Graduates Schools website. There are large disparities between students in departments. For students where there was a minimum, they benefited greatly. For those with above minimum it marginally affected them.

DOUGHERTY.158: Looked on HR's site and they have information as well.

FENN.36: Do we know what departments have disparities?

SADVARI.1: We know that, but we want to allow department chairs a chance to respond to the information and not have students asking them questions before they have the chance to respond.

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

3.1. Minutes from Fourth Fall Semester 2012 Delegate Meeting

4. OFFICER REPORTS

4.1. President

STURM.42: Allen decided to step down due to chronic health issues, and it's been tough because he was such a good friend and I encourage you to reach out to him. We have two cards here so we can sign them and we can send them to him. With that I have accepted to be president to be President for the remainder of the year, and I'm proud to be here, but wish it was under better circumstances. I hope that the delegate body will feel the same. If you have any questions please ask.

Election Timeline Update. Sent an e-mail for delegate outreach events. You should apply for that money and then you can have something in your department. Officer and Senator elections takes place at third meeting and next meeting are nominations. Nominations will be open to the third meeting. Please reach out to us if you're interested in running for positions.

We have also worked with OIA and Grad School to get the Global Gateway grant going. We have 10 \$1,000 grants to do this and both OIA and Grad School have given \$5,000 apiece to help with this.

Deb and Allie working with IPC to sponsor and create IMPACT Safety Workshop. Its not a typical self-defense, but it's a good way to try it out. We have openings for 25 Graduate Students and 25 Professional Students.

At the last Guide Connect event we had 57 people. The last event was on financial wellness and they're really pulling the international population which is great and we're proud of. Our next one will be a town hall to understand about the way CGS works – and the benefits of being a member.

Buckeye Careers – met with grad school and student life. Currently it's under student life and the grad school didn't understand what it was. We're working to develop it more for graduate students.

Hayes Forum – going well – on March 1. Over 500 applications. People will start finding out next week. Judges deadline was last week. 435 applications last year so there was a substantial increase. Hayes committee meeting next week – come if you're interested in helping.

4.2. Vice President No Report

4.3. Secretary

KENITZER.1: Please let me know if your going to Washington DC for Legislative Action Days as a part of NAGPS. If you are interested please e-mail me.

The Ad-Hoc committee is still meeting and we're nearing completion of our project. We're hoping to have the project done by the next meeting.

Please keep sending me items for the Weekly News.

4.4. Treasurer

SMITH.5973 New Budget has the updated number for the Coke Grant Fund. CSA fee also had a typo, and it has been updated by \$500. We have finally secured Global Gateway Grand Funding. We also have the interdisciplinary award funding. Other than that, Delegate outreach has surplus. We took out money from there and moved it into other areas.

For Committee projects: we have taken money out of committee projects to help fund the Ray Travel Award. We have been doing well on our budget and we will have a surplus here, so we are moving some of this surplus over to the Ray Travel Award.

You see the 10,000 is there for the Global Gateway, and we have removed money for the Ray Travel Award. We have only spend 15,000 for Delegate outreach.

Normally OUAB helps us out with the Spring picnic.

For the meeting refreshments, we haven't used all of that money. We've taken some out for the travel fund. We are hoping to have more attendees on the DC trip that Zach and Kevin will discuss later.

We have an extra money that we used to fund the emergency funds.

SWIFT.63: Can we have an itemized list of travel funds?

WEBER.460: If we get a surge of delegate outreach funding requests, can we amend the budget next meeting?

MCMILLAN.78: Thank you for adding the before and after values for us to keep track of where we've moved the money.

SCHUER.10: Why is this a 'floating budget'

SMITH.5973: We see that there is another area, like our Ray Travel Award, where we want to put more money in that is budgeted for, it is flexible, it is the way it's always been done.

SCHUER.10: is it the logic that we don't want to over spend?

SMITH.5973: It's the logic that we don't want to overspend or underspend.

SCHUER.10: it seems to make more sense for us that by the end of the year, we could look at what we originally had budgeted vs. what was actually gained or spent.

SMITH.5973: we can do that... I can put together that report if you'd like

SCHUER.10: why do we keep changing the budget and what not if you don't have the real levels.

STURM.42: we have over budgeted for certain things... everything is fluid... things change and we are able to 'roll with it'. We like your idea of sending out additional information at the end of the year.

HARTWELL.19: does everyone know how important it is that we spend this money?

STURM.42: We advocated for getting more money last year, and we received much more than the other two student governments. We want to set a precedence to show that we need more money, and this will help the undergrad/professional groups next year for this cause.

MCMILLAN.78: We get what % of the student activity fee?

GADEPALLY.1: 12.5% goes to the student governments- USG gets 60%, we get about 70% of the remaining percent. We are one of the highest per constituent.

SADVARI.1: When the money needs to be reallocated, you tell us. We have the transparency we need and we can evaluate the budget on the floor.

MOTIONS TO ADOPT BUDGET MOTION CHALEFF.1 MOTIONS SECONDS MCMILLIAN.78 SECONDS UNIANIOMOUSLY APPROVED

- 5. OLD BUSINESS No old business for this meeting.
- 6. NEW BUSINESS

6.1 ACT 1213-011 Temporarily Suspending the Constitution of CGS

MOTIONS TO OPEN DISCUSSION ON ACT 1213-011 DOUGHERTY.158 MOTIONS WEBER.460 SECONDS NO VOTE ON MOTION IS HELD

MOTIONS TO POSTPONE CONSIDERATION ON ACT 1213-011 MCMILLIAN.78 MOTIONS SWIFT.73 SECONDS OPEN DISCISSION

MCMILLIAN.78: Take the main motion to move the motion to the next Delegate meeting. I'm scared. This motion is unconstitutional, Article 12, section 2- the information was sent out at 8:00 pm last night regarding the Presidential resignation. This is not something that just sprung up, it has been conjured and discussed and we just found out that Allen has resigned.

STURM.42: Three options- Leave it as is, have the VP do both and leave it,

GADEPALLY.1: We need to vote today to give the officers direction, we have big events coming up, we can't exactly leave this open.

CALL FOR QUESTION ON MOTION TO POSTPONE CONSIDERATION ON ACT 1213-011 MCMILLIAN.78 CALLS FOR QUESTION VOTE: 1 YEA, 45 NAY, 3 ABSTAIN CALL FOR QUESTION FAILS

CALL FOR POINT OF INQUIRY CURZON.1 CALLS FOR INQUIRY CURZON.1 WILL ONLY THREE STUDENTS AS OFFICERS BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE DUTY?

STURM.42: KENITZER.1 and SMITH.5973 will share the duties as well. They couldn't do the entire position each on their own. They have started picking up committees that Allen had sat on. This is temporary, nominations are the next meeting. KENITZER.1 and SMITH.5973 are familiar with the elections process and how everything works- they are up to speed and can step up into the role.

MCMILLEN.78: Why don't we just vote today for a new VP because we are breaking every rule there is?

STURM.42: This was the best way to handle this situation... you need to be transparent about this. We aren't setting precedence; this is the best way to handle this.

MCMILLEN.78: Why not hold an election today?

KENITZER.1: There are stipend and fee waiver that complicate matters. A VP is entitled to the full amount of Fee Waiver and Stipend and we're already several weeks into the semester.

CHALEFF.1: Why hold an election today when Allison will just win? Wait a month, then we move forward.

COY.82: Why not elect someone to help Allie if she needs the help? Why not have an assistant for her?

SMITH.5973: It's not about the money - we've tried to help Allie and pick up the slack. Allen just resigned last week - we are sorry if this has been pushed on you, we've had to have the proper meetings to figure out what we can do.

MCMILLEN.78: Why can't you suspend the constitution?

FENN.36: Keep the people in place that have the institutional knowledge. It's in the best interest of CGS to keep it this way.

KUZAWA.1: They aren't picking up new duties; Allen's health has been this way for a while.

MOTION TO SUSPEND CONSITUTION TO NOT GIVE KENITZER.1 AND SMITH.5973 FUNDS FROM STUDENT LIFE MCMILLEN.78 MOTIONS

NO SECOND NO VOTE ON MOTION IS HELD

FENN.36: The money has to be spent among the positions, so there is no way to not spend the money for the stipend.

GADEPALLY.1: The stipends are from the Office of Student Life, and not using the money really doesn't affect anyone.

PUCKER.1: We are students and this is just not a lot of money. We should move on.

MOTIONS TO END DISCUSSION ON POSTPONEMENT ACT AND HOLD VOTE BY SECRET BALLOT ON ACT 1213-011 PUCKER.1 MOTIONS PHALAK.1 SECONDS DISCUSSION OPENS

MCMILLEN.78: People have rights to speak if they want.

CROWSLEY.1: Can we discuss what has been said?

STURM.42: Temporary suspension of the constitution to not elect a new Vice President.

MOTIONS TO APPROVE ACT 1213-011 PUCKER.1 MOTIONS SWIFT.73 SECONDS VOTE: 40 YEA, 3 NAY, 6 ABSTAIN ACT 1213-011 PASSES

6.2 ACT 1213-012 Change to Election Language MOTIONS TO OPEN DISCISSON ON ACT 1213-012 CHALEFF.1 MOTIONS FENN.36 SECONDS DISCUSSION OPENS

STURM.42: We're doing this to update the language and to remove the part where we need to post notice of elections in The Lantern which we haven't done in several years.

KENITZER.1: This also stregehens the language by specifying "at least" as well as providing two places that we are posting notice of elections.

CROWSLEY.1: Can we use the extra money for advertising in the Lantern?

MOTIONS TO APPROVE ACT 1213-012 PEINE.2 MOTIONS WEBER.460 SECONDS VOTE: 48 YEA, 0 NAY, 1 ABSTAIN ACT 1213-012 PASSES

6.3 ACT 1213-013 Change to CGS Guide Connect Date

MOTIONS TO OPEN DISCISSON ON ACT 1213-013 MCMILLIAN.78 MOTIONS SEKAR.7 SECONDS DISCUSSION OPENS

FENN.36: How did so many things fall on spring break?

STURM.42: Because of quarter to semester transition we missed a few things, in terms of trying to schedule meetings and this is something I caught this morning that would be easy to change.

PALEAK.1: Could we make it a week later? I think it's nice that if the new delegates can come to the meeting to see and see when they're a grad.

MOTIONS TO OPEN DISCISSON ON ACT 1213-013 SEKAR.7 MOTIONS CRUZON.1 SECONDS ACT 1213-013 PASSES UNANIMOUSLY

7. STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS

7.1. Chief of Staff

> BLUMENSCHEIN.1: Hi I'm Kelly I'm a first year MBA. Working on Global Gateway and you'll hear from me.

7.2. Academic Relations Fry.228

FRY.228: NAGPS is having their Midwest Conference, more info to come on that.

7.3. **Career Development**

> HARTWELL.19: applications are in, deadline last week. Will have count here soon. If you get email from her to review please help. Delegates I've asked to help have not e-mailed me so if you want to help.

7.4. Weber.460 **Delegate Outreach Program**

> WEBER.460: Please please please when you're thinking about your election and such please use it to remind your department about what CGS does and the plans that are coming for the next year. The application is super super easy. Its in the email and on the site. If you have questions please talk to Ashley. Has to be on campus and we can't pay for alcohol. If you have it, it has to be from a licensed provider.

MCMILLAN.78: If you ask your department to see if they will match the funding.

7.5. **Diversity and Inclusion**

> KUZAWA.1: IMPACT Safety with IP: going to cost us 300 and we want to have them once a month and we're feeling out how the partnership with IPC goes. And we have already talked about if spots haven't been taken we'll release it. We also working with wellness center and have reserved space in the RPAC.

> Stories for students: There are two ways to participate: read stories to students at one of seven schools. You can also be a school captain where you would organize who goes to what room.

> We've been approached about event for faith and being a graduate student. We are working to be very inclusive and want to have a large and diverse background. I would be very interested to hear.

> Sustained Dialogue is a student group that invites trained moderators to have discussions about controversial issues such as identity. We told them there would have to be some grad student involvement so hopefully that will pan out.

7.6. **Governmental Relations**

Peine.2

PEINE.2: Covered NAGPS already. They'll train us and we'll also do training for you here. And we will be on the hill. Couple of things coming down the pipeline - but if you're on my committee can we meet for 5 minutes after.

HOLDING.5: What are the objectives of the DC trip. I

PEINE.2: Its to lobby for grad and prof students and base

7.7. **Global Gateway Grant**

Blumenschein.1

BLUMENSCHEIN.1: GULLETTE.3 and I are working for the committee and we have been working to fill that. February 1-28 is the period 10 - \$1000 scholarships are awarded. If you have questions talk to BLUMENSCHEIN.1 or GULLETTE.3. Or if you know anyone who will be travelling abroad have them send an email.

GULLETTE.3: Thanks for joining the committee – I will get info out soon.

7.8. **Hayes Research Forum**

Sturm.42

Kuzawa.1

Hartwell.19

Blumenschein.1

STURM.42: Hayes Forum is on track, great committee. We need Volunteers for the day of the event and come to my committee meeting if you're interested.

DOUGHERTY.158: Email if interested in coming to the committee Mon February 4. Health and Wellness Emanuel.21

7.9. NO REPORT 7.10. International Concerns Gullette.3 NO REPORT 7.11. **Marketing and Communications** Kenitzer.1 KENITZER.1: Student Leadership Awards are out now, nominate someone online. 7.12. **Outreach and Engagement** Dougherty.128 NO REPORT 7.13. Sturm.42 **Organization and Elections**

STURM.42: Use Delegate Outreach to go to your departments and let them know about elections. Information about elections will be out soon.

Smith.5973

7.14. Ray Travel

SMITH.5973: Deadline was Friday 87 applications – please get stuff to her by tomorrow. Just wanted to clarify: Its ok to apply for the Ray Travel if you haven't gotten an acceptance for the award. It's on our website, but I don't think many people read that. It's ok for one funding period if you apply for both the Career Development Grant and the Ray Travel Award.

SANDOVAL.32: How long does it take to hear back.

SMITH.5973: Everyone will hear by Monday

7.15.	Senate Advisory NO REPORT	Fenn.36

7.16. Sustainability and Environmental Responsibility Sekar.7

SEKAR.7: Have an event in Great Hall Meeting Room. Working with 5 organizations to get the information out. It's to get students to implement sustainable change at Ohio State. It's in three sections: Energy, Land Use and Community Service. There's a panel for each of them as well as student organizations. The idea is to have those with ideas to work with administration.

7.17. Delegate Issues and Concerns

COY.82: What about the Student Health Center having a policy of only a single issue a single visit?

PEINE.2: Kenitzer.1 told be about that and I know it's not a Aetna

CROWSLEY.1: It could also be different doctors and every one may not be on board with the policy – and I'd be interested to hear if its policy or just something the doctors do.

CROWSLEY.1: Visit outside of OSU system – Aetna has a \$100 deductible.

MCMILLIAN.78: had an \$8000 charge because I went to the ER at riverside and not OSU

PEINE.2: have a new OSU only hotline with a 7 second wait time.

DELEGATE: If you visit a doctor in Franklin County out of OSU Network you get punished for going to a doctor closer to you.

MCMILLIAN.78: with old system there is a discrepancy outside of OSU and there is another network of providers outside Franklin Co.

STURM.42 Send us additional concerns to deal with the marketing people from AETNA.

GUNN.54: What about the Student Legal Fee? Has there been any resolution to that?

KENITZER.1: From our understanding that fee is voluntary and there is an opt out procedure, but we can add to Ad Hoc.

CROWSLEY.1: What is that email about minimum stipend increase?

STURM.42: It was an error on our part, and I think that money is going to STEP.

MOTIONS TO END MEETING MCMILLIAN.78 MOTIONS PEINE.2 SECONDS MEETING ADJOURNED AT 5:17