W. Alex Wesaw
Alex is a citizen of the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians (a federally recognized tribe in Michigan and Indiana) and is a PhD Candidate in City & Regional Planning, concentrating his research on Community & Economic Development; particularly with American Indian tribal governments.
He earned his bachelor’s in Organizational Communication and Public Advocacy from Ohio University – Lancaster and his Master’s of Public Administration from Ohio University – Athens. Prior to coming to OSU, Alex served as a Co-President of the National Congress of American Indians – Youth Commission and was a recipient of the United National Indian Tribal Youth’s (better known as UNITY) inaugural class of 25 Under 25 Emerging Native Leaders Award. Outside of OSU, Alex serves, at the national level, as the Secretary of the Board of Directors for the National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA).
Before becoming President, Alex served as CGS Treasurer, a Senator on OSU’s University Senate, on the Council on Academic Affairs, Council for the Physical Environment, Graduate Compensation and Benefits Committee, and as a Commissioner on the University Area Commission for the City of Columbus.
Roles & Responsibilities :
The President is responsible for:
- Presides over all meetings of the Council and implementing all decisions of the Council.
- Selects the time and place of all regular and special meetings of the Council.
- Manages the office associate and for ensuring Council compliance with Council, University State, and Federal fiscal and personnel policies.
- Serves as the liaison between CGS and the Graduate School, University administration, and the Ohio State Board of Trustees.
- Serves externally, as an ex-officio member of the Graduate Council, the University Senate and its Steering Committee, and the Council on Student Affairs.
- Fulfills other duties as directed by the Council and the Executive Committee.