CGS has always strived to support graduate students in pursuing their goals. To this end, CGS supports four funding sources: the Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum, the Edward J. Ray Travel Award for Scholarship and Service as well as the Career Development Grant program.
The Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum aims to help graduate students share their research with others and recognizes the truly outstanding students at the University.
The Edward J. Ray Travel Award for Scholarship and Service honors substantial commitment to service and helps graduate students to pursue their scholarly goals across the globe by financially aiding them when attending distant conferences and presentations.
The Career Development Grant program encourages graduate students to prepare for placement into their chosen field and provides an opportunity to defray associated costs.
The Global Gateway Graduate Student Research Abroad Grant encourages and promoted the proffessional and academic development of graduate researchers at OSU by providing financial support that allows graduate students to undertake research abroad.
Interested in learning more? Join us at our next Grants Workshop in the 3rd floor of the Research Commons on Friday, January 19th from 12-1:30pm!
IMPORTANT: Please note the changes made to the funding periods covered in the upcoming Career Development and Ray Travel Award Grants. Changes were made to more closely align with the University's fiscal funding period. Applications already submitted that fall after the applicable dates will be held until the next funding period deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I still apply for a grant through CGS if I haven't yet been accepted to a conference?
Yes, so long as the conference is within the fundable window.
2. If I've received the Ray Travel Award in a previous funding period, but did not use all my funds can I apply again?
Yes, you are eligible for $1000 per year. If you have received the Ray Travel Award in a previous funding period but spent less than $1000 you can apply for the remainder. Your application will be considered along with all other applications. You are not guaranteed to receive the award again, but you are eligible to apply.
3. Can I use the Career Development Grant for membership fees? And if so, do the dues dates need to be explicitly stated?
Yes, you can use the Career Development Grant for membership fees, but no you do not need to explicitly state the dates they are due. If you receive funding, you must pay the dues during the funding period you applied for.
4. Can I use abbreviations in my application?
Yes, but please explain them in the text of your application.
5. How specific should I be when calculating reimbursement?
As specific as possible, if you are requesting reimbursement for mileage to Atlanta, please specify how you calculated the rate you’re requesting (government rate, etc.)
6. How am I reimbursed for mileage if I’m traveling in Ohio?
You will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
7. What happens if the conference dates are in two different funding periods?
The first day of the conference or event will be the date that the funding period needs to fall in.
8. Can I change my estimated expenses after being awarded the grant?
No, the expenses are limited to what you applied for.
9. Do I need to be presenting at the conference to receive a grant? What if I'm just attending a conference?
Yes, you must be presenting at the conference to be eligible for the Ray Travel Award. Students who are just attending conferences are not eligible for the Ray Travel Award, but may be eligible for the Career Development Grant.
10. I am traveling to conduct research (e.g. traveling to an archive), can I apply for a grant?
No, you are not eligible for the Ray Travel Award or Career Development Grant when conducting research. You may be eligible for the Global Gateway Grant depending on where the research is occurring.
11. I missed the application date which corresponds to my conference! Can I still apply for a grant for a later funding period?
No, you must apply by the close of the funding period which corresponds to your travel dates. No exceptions.